Dog Tag Licenses
The Township of Centre Wellington, under the Dog Control By-law, requires every dog owner to register their dog each year. Here are some things you need to know:
- You must purchase a license within 15 days of getting a dog.
- You must purchase a license each subsequent year before April 30th.
- The license expires on April 30th of the following year, regardless of when you purchased it.
Where to purchase:
If you have a new dog or are a new resident please submit a paper application.
Paper applications can be submitted by mail or come in to the Township Municipal Office located at: 1 MacDonald Square, Elora, ON N0B 1S0
- If purchased before April 30, 2017 – $40.00
- If purchased after April 30 – $50.00 (renewals only)
- To replace a lost tag – $10.00
The cost of a 2017 Dog Tag has increased due to the Township engaging the services of the Guelph Humane Society to provide animal control and shelter services. They are an organization that has the officers equipped with skill, ability, expertise and qualifications to provide animal control services in our area. The Township is committed to the safety and care of all dogs in CW, and by partnering with the Guelph Humane Society we are able to provide a higher level of service, including enforcement. The revenue from dog tags goes directly to cover the cost of the animal control program. The Township believes a user-pay approach is more equitable than a tax based subsidized approach. The Guelph Humane Society also provides 24/7 emergency services and can be contacted by calling 519-824-3091.